Team Member Information
Thank you for joining a Garlic Mustard Pull-A-Thon Team! With your help, we will continue to control invasive plants in Southeastern Wisconsin, while involving and educating more people.
Be a STAR Pull-A-Thon Team Member by:
1) Pulling at least one bag of garlic mustard, and
2) Recruiting donations from 3+ sponsors
A trophy and bragging rights will be awarded to the team that collects the most donations and pulls the most garlic mustard/dame’s rocket by June 30, 2018. You want to be a member of that team!!!!
Your nonprofit team organization will earn half of any Pull-A-Thon funds you raise. The remaining proceeds help SEWISC support programs to control invasive species in our eight county area through education and on-the-ground management. Let your sponsors know that!
Making Fundraising Easier
We realize that asking friends and family to donate money to your cause can be difficult, but we make that easier! We offer pre-written emails and printable donation forms that you and your team mates can use to inspire family, friends or colleagues to support your efforts. As a team member, you don’t have to collect donations. Sponsors simply send their donations to SEWISC, which then distributes the proceeds to your team’s organization.
How to be a STAR Pull-A-Thon Team Member in 2 easy steps
- Request donations from 3 or more sponsors before your team work day. Donations help both YOUR team organization and SEWISC‘s regional efforts.
- For email contacts: Ask for donations from friends, family and others by using a pre-written donation request email. Simply download the text, copy and paste in an email and customize it.
- Commit to your sponsors that you will pull at least one bag of garlic mustard. Team members gain a sense of accomplishment and pride by doing something worthwhile for their community and the environment.
- For in-person contacts: Ask friends, family members, neighbors, or local businesses for donations, using the printable mail in donation form. Your sponsors will simply mail the form and donation check to SEWISC.
- Donations can be made online or with a mail-in donation form.
- Attend your Pull-A-Thon work day(s). This is the best part!
- Each team can hold as many work days as they wish, usually ranging from 2-5 hours each.
- Dress for outdoor, grubby work. Long pants, a long-sleeved shirt and sturdy footwear are essential. Bring a water bottle, sunscreen and insect repellant on work days. Being prepared will guarantee that you will have a great time!
- Pulling can begin as soon as garlic mustard is identifiable, but all pulling must stop once seed pods have formed, to avoid spreading the seed. If seed pods are developing, the bagged material should be disposed of in a landfill or burned to avoid potential seed spread. The competition officially ends June 30, but your team may need to stop pulling before that date.
- Dame’s rocket, another invasive member of the mustard family, can be pulled and bagged along with garlic mustard, giving your team the extra pounds we call a Rocket Boost!
- Knock and shake soil from the roots of all plants before bagging.
- Download and review these helpful fact sheets before your work day event(s): Garlic Mustard Fact Sheet, Dame’s Rocket Fact Sheet, Safety Tips and Pulling Protocol
- Join a team.
- Recruit your sponsors.