Large deciduous shrub with silvery foliage. Autumn olive grows up to 20’ tall. Twigs are covered by small silvery scales.
Other names for this plant include:
- Common names: Autumn elaeagnus, oleaster, silverberry, spreading oleaster
- Scientific names: E. crispa; E. umbellata car. parvifolia; E. parvifolia
- Autumn olive invades open and forested natural areas, as well as roadsides and agricultural fields.
- It thrives in high light conditions where it can produce numerous fruits.
- Alters nutrient cycling by adding nitrogen to the soil.