Tree of Heaven
Rapidly-growing tree that can reach 80’ or more. Tree of heaven has smooth stems, pale gray bark and light brown twigs. Leaves and male flowers have a strong odor of rancid peanuts.
Other names for this plant include:
- Common names: China sumac, stinktree, ailanthus
- Scientific names: A. glandulosa; Rhus cacodendron
- Aggressive invader of urban areas, fields, roadsides, fencerows, woodland edges and forest openings. It may occur as seedlings in recently planted fields.
- Prolific seed producer; once established can form an impenetrable thicket.
- Allelopathic; plant produces chemicals that are toxic to other organisms, both plants and insects.