You don’t have to plant a dozen trees in your backyard (though we won’t stop you). Small changes to everyday choices and behaviors can cumulatively make a major positive impact on our planet.
Here are 25 simple steps you can challenge yourself, family and friends to take that will lead to a more environmentally-friendly and healthier lifestyle:
- Plant a tree.
- Plant a vegetable, herb or native flower garden.
- Participate in a local clean up event.
- Go meatless for one day a week.
- Refill: kick the bottled water habit
- Recycle: think before you trash it (or buy it)
- Skip the drinking straw.
- Reduce the load; power down and unplug.
- Donate food locally.
- Remember to bring your own reusable bag.
- Flip the switch to save lights and equipment.
- Buy local and sustainable.
- Detox the mailbox and stop junk mail.
- Carpool and save fuel.
- Park the car; walk or ride a bike.
- Give back and volunteer in the community.
- Select save instead of print.
- Print double-sided on recycled paper.
- Save one drop at a time; fix leaking faucets.
- Get outdoors and connect with the natural world.
- Choose a reusable coffee cup.
- Take the food waste challenge and reduce waste.
- Read the label; eat for health and nutrition.
- Power up using alternative fuels.
- Donate money to a local green organization (yea, like SEWISC!).
Thank you in advance for caring for yourself, our natural environment and our fragile planet.